Junior Teams



Nov 2009


City Junior A League 2009

Junior A League Final played at Church Road, Saturday 7th November 2009 Blackrock 2 – 12 Rathpeacon 0 – 8

click here for match report



June 2009



Junior A Hurling Championship.

Played at Ballinlough on Tuesday 9th June 2009.

Blackrock 1 – 19 St. Vincent’s 1 – 10.

This was a fine exhibition of hurling from a relatively young Blackrock Junior team who knew how to hurl. Ninteen points, twelve from play is a fine return in any game. Mike O’Donoghue grabbed nine of those including six from placed balls. Some of the points were of an extraordinary high quality including a free from 110 metres by Paul O’Brien.

The foundation for the Blackrock win was a tenacious set of backs who played for each other. Donal Murray stood out at centre back with some fine catching and delivery of the sliotar. Relative youngsters, Colm Daly, Elliot Cantwell and Ian Giltinan were supported by wiseheads Liam O’Brien and Ronan Coakley.

The Rockies led by 0 – 10 to 0 – 4 at half time, with both sides missing some good chances for goals.

Blackrock led 1 – 12 to 0 – 4 early in the second half after Declan Dempsey tapped in a rebound. Colin Aherne for Vincents was simply outstanding and put up 1 – 7 of the Northsiders final tally. For the Rockies Shane Norberg and Mike O’Donoghue held sway at centre field. Declan Dempsey at full forward was always a handful and finished with 1 – 1. Paul Reidy looked in great form and picked off two points while the introduction of Mike Aherne ensured a steady flow of good points from all angles with his crisp striking.

Greg Maher, Ger O’Regan, Kevin Falvey and Michael O’Keeffe all contributed to the action up front in what was an outstanding team effort.

Paul O’Brien, Colm Daly, Liam O’Brien, Ian Giltenan, Elliot Cantwell, Donal Murray, Ronan Coakley, Shane Norberg, Michael O’Donoghue, Kevin Falvey, Gerard O’Regan, Michael O’Keeffe, Paul Reidy, Declan Dempsey, Greg Maher, Michael Aherne, Paudie O’Neill, J.P Treacy.








Nov 2006


Junior Hurling League (2) Final.

Blackrock 2 - 06. Whitechurch 1 - 06.

Following an outstanding game of hurling played in atrocious conditions, our Junior Hurlers defeated Whitechurch in the final of the J.H.L.(2) Final at Pairc An Locha, Lee Road, on Sunday morning.

Playing against a gale force wind and blinding rain in the first half, we were unlucky to trail by a point at half time on a score of Rockies 0 - 03, Whitechurch 0 - 04. Declan Dempsey opened the scoring with a great point and this was followed by a point from play and one from a free by Mikey O'Donoghue. 

We went a further point in arrears at the beginning of the second half but the goals that threatened to come in the first half finally did arrive in the second half and with about 15 minutes to go we were ahead by 7 points. Ronan Coakley opened the scoring in the second half with a great point from a free and this was followed by a point from play Declan Dempsey. Mikey O'Donoghue then converted a free before his brother Shay found the back of the net with a great goal to give us some breathing space. This was followed by the best score of the game, a goal by Cormac O'Keeffe. Following an exciting solo run, he crashed the ball to the back of the net. 

In fairness to Whitechurch they never threw in the towel and were rewarded with a goal and a point in the last five minutes of the game. 

This was tremendous team effort and great credit is due to all concerned for a magnificent win and for bringing the Cup to Blackrock.

The team lineup was as follow. 1. Pat O'Sullivan. 2. Jason Mc Carthy. 3. Ollie O'Brien. 4 Jamie Harrington. 5 Timmy O'Neill. 6 Anthony Madden. 7 Ronan Coakley. 8 Paudie O'Neill. 9 David O'Shea. 10 Mikey O'Donoghue. 11 Colin Dempsey. 12 Shay O'Donoghue. 13 Paul Mills. 14 Declan Dempsy. 15 Cormac O'Keeffe. Sub: Jerry Linehan / Paul Mills.


June 2006


Junior Hurling Championship.

Played in Ballinlough Tuesday June 6th.

Blackrock 3 – 12 Lough Rovers 3 – 14.

 How Blackrock lost this game will remain a mystery. Eight points up and coasting with only 14 minutes of normal time time remaining. Declan Dempsey had contributed 2 – 2 while Pat O’Sullivan had put over 6 frees and the team was playing well. However Lough Rovers simply tore through the Rockies rearguard in the final 15 minutes and late points from Edward O’Byrne sealed a famous victory.


Dec 2004


Click here for AGM report 2004





June 2004

Intermediate Hurling Championship

Intermediate Hurling Championship

Blackrock 0 --- 12 Cobh 2 --- 9

Played at Carrigtwohill Saturday evening. 12th June 2004.

A match Blackrock could have won, but could not get the all important goal. Short six since the previous round against Eire Og, as Liam Meaney and Aidan Ryan played against Douglas in the Senior Championship, a few injuries and holidays, it was always going to be an uphill battle for the Rockies.

Blackrock went into an early lead, with Enda Kiely converting two frees before Keith O'Riordan and Ian Walsh added good points from play. Ger Meaney from Cobh put over a number of points before former cork star Derek Barrett fired home a goal for goal. The half time score was 1 ---6 to 0 - 6.

Blackrock had the wind in the second half and were helped by a Cobh side which continued to strike wides (16 in total) all through this half. A failure by the Blackrock defence to clear a ball resulted in a goal from Ger Meaney midway through the half to leave 5 points between the sides.

Driven on by David Coakley who himself scored a fine point and with the free taking accuracy of Enda Kiely, the Rockies came back into the game. A missed goal opportunity followed, before Enda Kiely went for goal from a free in the last minute. However the ball flew just wide and that was that!

Team: Frank Barry, Ger Murphy, Ken O'Connell, Gary Norberg, T.J.Coughlan,Richard Curtain, Kevin Cummins, David Coakley, Andrew Goulding, Ian Walsh, Colin Crowley, Enda kiely, Keith O'Riordan, Michael o'Keeffe,John Cormack. Sub: Paul Mills.


May 2004

Junior A Hurling league.

Saturday 15th May 2004.

Blackrock 2 --- 10 Ballinure 0 --- 4.

A lovely summer evening, yet signs of tension in the air at Church Road. The pitch itself locked, a huge crowd on the embankment. The Eurovision Song Contest a possible option but not even the undoubted charms of Rusiana Lyzichko could match the earthier passion in the clash between old rivals Blackrock and Ballinure.

To retreat into the haven of sporting cliches, this was a tough robust encounter, with little quarter asked or given, or expected. About a dozen hurleys commenced their slow sad journey back to the clay; in one clash three camans splintered so badly that the hurlers had to take evasive action as pieces of broken ash dropped like hailstones. At least one substantial piece of a caman wound up in the nearby crowd. The vocal debates on the embankment were also quite lively at times.

There was some interesting hurling too, the good hurling was mostly played by the Rockies and it is fair to add that every player gave a passionate commitment to the proceedings. One wondered what a championship match would be like!

With aid of two frees and a 65 Ballinure raced into an early lead of three points, before Keith Riordan pounced for a good Blackrock goal after 12 minutes. Keith Riordan and Paul Dollery added points, before Declan Dempsey flashed a shot which had emerged from the crossbar to the net to leave the half time score at Blackrock 2 --- 2, Ballinure 0 --- 4.

Eddie Gosnell put over a 65 early in the second half for Ballinure however that was to be their final score. Shane Waters and Keith Riordan added points, while Kevin Falvey put over the first of his four points from frees.

Then a moment of sheer hurling magic in the 45th minute of the second half , a thunderbolt of a shot from a Ballinure forward was saved by young Ian O'Driscoll in the Blackrock goal, it was a wonder save and on it the match turned. He was to make a further save later on also and was certainly contender for man of the match. Paudie O'Neill and Andrew Goulding added points while Kevin Falvey converted three more frees to allow Blackrock to run out comfortable winners. Ballinure in fact failed to score from play.

Ballinure had good players in Garry Trehane, Eddie Gosnell and Eanna O'Sullivan; the last mentioned being a very skilful hurler who hurled right through the game. Blackrock displayed more hurling skill and matched the Ballinure passion in all areas. Ger Murphy dominated the defence while Jamie Harrington got in some good clearances, the O'Neills at centerfield kept the ball moving while Keith Riordan took his scores very well. Shane Waters always looked dangerous and worked extremely hard. Every man backed up his team mates in a fine team performance by the Rockies.

Blackrock team. Ian O'Driscoll, Gerard Murphy, Liam O'Brien,Larry Guinan, Martin O'Keeffe, Anthony Madden, Jamie Harrington, Timmy O'Neill, Paudie O'Neill, Shane Waters, Andrew Goulding, Kevin Falvey, Paul Dollery, Declan Dempsey, Keith Riordan.


September 2003

County Junior A Quarter Final

Minane Bridge Sunday 21st September 2003

Minane Bridge Sunday 21st September 2003

Argideen Rangers 3 --- 11 Blackrock 2 --- 11.

This game was won and lost over a few minutes early in the second half when two Rangers goals scored by Michael O' Rourke and Michael Walsh opened up a six point gap. Playing with the strong wind, the Timoleague half forwards drifted out 60 meters from the Blackrock goal, exposing the Blackrock full-back line to the long ball. Two attacks, two broken balls, two goals.

Lining out without the Coakley brothers and Colin O'Reilly, Blackrock fought bravely and nearly levelled at the end when JoeYoung broke through, but the chance was missed. When Enda Kiely drove a 25-meter free wide, the game was up. Playing with the aid of a strong wind, Blackrock were heavily dependent on Kiely for scores and his goal from a 20 meter free after 10 minutes might have set the Rockies on course however when the Rangers also goaled a few minutes later through a kicked ball from Michael O'Rourke, Blackrock were in trouble.

By half time the scores were level at 1 --- 5 all, Ian Walsh and Ken O'Connell having added points to Enda Kielys three. Ian Walsh had a great solo effort to obtain a fine point on the resumption, while Enda converted a 65. Shane O' Mahony added some points to leave it at 1 ---7 all when the West Cork side struck for the two quick goals.

The fight back was led by Joe Young who banged in a goal and a point with Ian Walsh again chipping in a point, to leave just a point in it with 7 minutes remaining. However Timoleague continued to put points on the board and they eventually finished three to the good. This is a very strong Rangers side, a good mix of youth and experience and may go all the way. It was an excellent match and held interest right to the end, when the Rockies could easily have snatched a draw.

Enda Kiely eventually wound up with a goal and six points (all from frees with the exception of the 65), while Blackrock man of the match Ian Walsh had three excellent points from play. Stephen O'Keeffe put in a very good display at centre-back.

This Blackrock side has had a very good year; it has put in a lot of good work and can be proud of its efforts in capturing the City Championship for the first time in 30 years. It could have ended in disaster against Whitechurch the very first day out. Missing three of their regulars proved too much at the end of this day and the Rockies simply could not break down the Timoleague back lines to obtain the crucial scores.

Well done everybody!


August 2003

Junior (A) Team win 2003 City Championship 

and now will face the Carbery representatives in the next round of the County Junior Championship -Click Here for a report on the City Championship Final


Junior B Hurling Championship Semi -Final. 

Blackrock 1 --- 10, Ballinure 1 --- 11 

At one stage early in the second half the Rockies were 4 points ahead, however Ballinure fought back and pulled ahead near the end in a very exciting game recently at Ballinlough.


July 2003

Junior A Quarter Final City Championship.

Ballinlough 30th July 2003.

Blackrock 4 --- 12 St.Finbarrs. 0 --- 5

This match was played in ideal conditions at Ballinlough on Wednesday 30th July before a fine crowd. The Barrs played with a slight breeze into the Blackrock end of the pitch and initially put the Blackrock defence under some pressure, however other than one point from a 65 and another from play, they made little progress against a resolute Blackrock defence where Richard Curtin and Stephen O'Keeffe excelled.

Colm O'Flaherty scored a fine opportunist goal after 10 minutes and Blackrock were on their way. Enda Kiely converted two frees and a 65 while Ken O'Connell scored a fine point from play. Following a well-directed clearance by Aidan Ryan, corner forward Pat O' Sullivan raced through from the wing to score a great goal, 5 minutes into injury time. This left the score at halftime at Blackrock 2 --- 4 St. Finbarrs 0 --- 2.

Blackrock had played very well in that first half and had contained the Barr's in all sections of the field. On the resumption, Enda Kiely put over two further points from frees before Aidan Ryan converted a fine point following a clearance by Stephen O'Keeffe.

In the 13th minute of this half Ian Walsh drove a spectacular sideline cut from the Ballinlough Road side all the way to the Barr's net. The same player then followed up a couple of minutes later with a further goal following a well-struck drive from about 40 yards, which dipped under the crossbar. Not content he then added a further point to complete an excellent nights work. Ian finished with two goals and a point from midfield.

Aidan Ryan, Enda Kiely who finished with a total of 6 points and sub evergreen John Cormack, who combines his contribution to the club with also looking after the under 6 panel on Saturday mornings, added in good points from play to complete an all round very satisfactory performance by this Rocky team, which seems to be growing in confidence with each game.

This was the Barr's third team and this defeat rounded off what has been a bad period in which each of their hurling teams have been defeated in the Championship over the past couple of weeks. The Barrs did try very hard and added three points from play in the final stages but on the night were no match for the Blackrock team whose superior skills and stick work gave them a considerable edge.


Junior B championship 

Blackrock recently defeated Douglas at Church Road by 3 ---7 to 1--- 4. 

Blackrock have now qualified to meet Ballinure in the next round.


Junior A Hurling Championship. Ballinlough Sunday 20th July 2003.

Blackrock 2 --- 16 Nemo Rangers 0 --- 7

Blackrock gave a comprehensive display to power past a Nemo team, whose first point from play came in the 43rd minute. Backboned by a number of the senior panel, the Rockies were on top in all sections of the field and the match was really over at half time when they led by 2 --- 9 to 0 --- 2.

Played in ideal conditions despite a cross-field wind, Blackrock were quickly to the fore and points from Pat O' Sullivan, Colm O'Flaherty and Aidan Ryan before an 11th minute goal from a 35 metre free from Enda Kiely, which he followed up with a point put the Rockies in the driving seat. All the Blackrock forwards were on top at this stage, and they would have been completely out of sight at half time if a number of good chances had been converted.

Ken O' Connell was playing well, while Colm O' Flaherty was winning a lot of ball, when he moved out to the wing. Colin O'Reilly made a number of penetrating runs into the heart of the Nemo Rangers defence, but could not convert possession into scores. A further goal from Pat O' Sullivan after 25 minutes, followed by points from Enda Kiely, Adrian Ryan and Ken O' Connell left the Rockies 13 points ahead at the interval. Nemo scored just two points from frees.

The Blackrock backs and centre field were also to the fore with both Coakley brothers, David and Ronan fully involved and Stephen O' Keeffe, along with T.J.Coughlan playing consistently well to block off all Nemo attacks. Ian Walsh kept the ball moving and helped out the defence regularly.

The second-half commenced with substitute John Cormack firing over a point after two minutes, the same player had the ball in the net moments later only to be given a free, which resulted in a point from Enda Kiely. Enda's free taking and general play were impeccable all through the game and he eventually contributed one goal and seven points to Blackrock's total.

Nemo staged a late rally and scored three points in succession, however the Blackrock back line commanded by Gerard Murphy, Larry Guinan and David Dempsey held all attacks at bay and finished strongly, while Stephen O' Keeffe's huge clearances often turned defence into attack. Frank Barry in goal had a quiet morning.

The Blackrock team can be happy with this performance where their first-time direct, no nonsense hurling was a feature of their play. The players also showed great commitment and worked hard for each other from start to finish. There is a fine blend of experience and youth involved and they should give a good account of themselves in this Championship.

Nemo never seemed to get going at all and their complete lack of penetration up front ensured they were always struggling in this match.

Blackrock now play St. Finbarrs in the quarterfinal, which may be played next Sunday 27th July.





December 2002


Junior A Team Report -  AGM 16th December 2002 - click here for details

Junior B Team Report -  AGM 16th December 2002 - click here for details