1991 Group from Primary to U-16


November 2007

Under 16 League semi-final. 

Blackrock 0 - 12 Mayfield 1 - 8. 

at Mayfield on Saturday afternoon 24th November

In this hard fought and sometimes physical contest at Mayfield on Saturday afternoon 24th November, Blackrock emerged victorious by the narrowest of margins. The self discipline and workmanlike performance of the under 16 County champions was a major contributory factor in the Rockies advancing to the final.

Playing against the wind in the first half, Blackrock were two points behind at the interval 0 - 6 to 0 - 4. In the second half, Patrick Deasy was magnificent and made a major contribution from frees and play. Colman Ruiseal scored a majestic point from 70 meters which put the Rockies in the driving seat.

Elliot Cantwell once again dominated at centre back and showed tremendous courage to clear his lines despite being placed under pressure for much of the game. Eoin O'Farrell put on a tremendous display of pure hurling throughout the game against all adversity and acquitted himself well in the robust exchanges in the centre of the field. Eoin O'Meara also caught the eye in the forward lines.

A late goal from a close in Mayfield free closed the gap to a single point, however the Rockies never panicked in the final minutes, continued to hurl with firm control and ran out deserving winners.



October  2007

Under 16 County Final. 

Pairc Ui Rinn, Wednesday 3rd October 2007. 

Blackrock 1 - 11 Mallow 2 - 5

This was a cracking game from start to finish. Played under lights in Pairc Ui Rinn, in front of a huge crowd and a fantastic atmosphere, this game represented all that's best in hurling. Two top class teams, tough exchanges, brilliant individual and team scores, play careering up and down the field, great saves, and a nail biting finish.

Blackrock started with a flourish and an Eoin O'Farrell point from play came after a minute. However Mallow midfielder Craig Heaney responded immediately with a fine point. Patrick Deasy split the Mallow defence to add another for the Rockies.

Goal for Mallow

A mix up in the Blackrock defence resulted in a well taken goal from Mallow corner forward Bryan Murphy to put two points between the sides after 10 minutes. However the Blackrock lads fought back and a free from Patrick Deasy and a 65 from Eoin O'Farrell leveled it on the quarter hour.

From there to the interval there was some great hurling. Craig Heaney in particular finished off a skillful move to score a fine point. Two points from Patrick Deasy who was regularly cutting through the Mallow defence and a fine effort from Sean Daly put the Rockies back in the driving seat; however Bryan Murphy and Sean Glynn had it level for the fourth time at the interval.

Half time score was Blackrock 0 - 7 Mallow 1 - 4.

Deasy shines!

Patrick Deasy opened the scoring for the Rockies with a great individual effort which require sublime control work on the ball. Both defences were well on top and scores were extremely hard to come by. Paul Bennett moved to centre forward and thundered into the game. With Eoin O'Farrell playing well and Elliot Cantwell magnificent at centre back where he outplayed a succession of Mallow forwards, Blackrock took command.

Paul Bennett slipped over a point, while a Patrick Deasy free put three clear points between the sides by the 40th minute. Only the brilliance of Aidan Long in the Mallow goal where he prevented three certain goals in as many minutes kept them in it. The introduction of Cathal Hannon and Mike Ahern increased the tempo of the Blackrock forwards; however they could not put Mallow away.

Craig Heaney made some penetrating runs into the Blackrock defence but overelaboration cost them dearly as the Blackrock blanket defence ensured few openings. Odhran O'Connell and Kevin Sheehan played some fine ball but frees that would normally be converted were missed and Mallow could only manage one point in the first 15 minutes. Jerry Hayes worked hard at centre back for Mallow.

Two goals in two minutes.

In the 47th minute Sean Glynn pulled on a loose ball which had not been cleared by the Blackrock defence and struck the net to put Mallow ahead for the first time in the second half. A minute later Patrick Deasy flashed the ball to the net at the other end. Mike Ahern had the Rockies three ahead by the 52nd minute with an excellent close in point.

From there to the end which included 5 minutes of extra time, it was nerve wrecking as Blackrock tried to get the insurance point and Mallow went for the equalizing goal. A combination of heroic defence and a few crucial hesitations by Mallow forwards with goals at their mercy ensured the Rockies first County victory in this competition since 1988 when a Pat Moylan trained team won it last.


Brilliant Captain Elliot Cantwell accepted the Under 16 Premier trophy on behalf of the team and proceeded to praise their committed mentors, Brother Patrick Fitzgibbon, David Coakley, Pat Deasy, Ronan Coakley, Pat Moylan and everyone else who had contributed to their victory. It takes a great team to come and win this competition and this team finally had its night under lights after so many heartbreaking defeats in the past. Mallow played a great part in what was a memorable game with a very high standard of hurling. Aidan Long, the Mallow keeper was chosen as man of the match.

Blackrock Panel

Blackrock: Paul O'Brien, Richard Laide, Mark Ryan, Andrew Hayes, Diarmuid McCurtain, Elliot Cantwell (Capt.) James Heylin, Eoin O'Farrell, ( 0 - 2, ( 65 ) Colman Ruiseal, Paul Bennett, ( 0 - 1), Patrick Deasy, ( 1 - 6, 3 f), David O' Mahony, Domhnall Cremin, Sean Daly,( 0 - 1) David Healy, Cian Hartnett, , Cathal Hannon, Eoin O'Meara, Mike Ahern, (0 - 1), Cian Linehan, David Vaughan, Eoin Hickey, Eoin O'Leary, Brian Healy, Luke Fogarty, Shane Keane,Luke Conway, Aaron Giltenan, Ronan Devine, John Fitzgerald, Dylan Stokes, Ross O'Sullivan, Shane Keane



September 2007

Under 16 County Semi-Final.

Blackrock 2 - 11 Blarney 1 - 7

Blackrock qualified to meet Mallow in the final of the Under 16 County after a merited and hard fought victory over Blarney in this encounter played at Caherlag on Saturday 22nd September 2007.

The game opened with two goals, one from a brilliant David Hyde from Blarney struck the net after 7 minutes however Patrick Deasy responded immediately with a classic goal.

Eoin Hickey and Domhnall Cremin added points for the Rockies only to be pegged back to level terms following two points from Ciaran Buckley.

On 15 minutes Diarmaid McCurtain received a nasty facial injury and although he bravely returned to the fray, he was eventually withdrawn at half time. This injury appeared to disrupt the Blackrock momentum and a series of missed frees allowed Blarney to stay in the game.

The excellent Patrick Deasy pointed again from a free, while a turning point came just before half time when Michael Ahern was fouled in the small square and Paul O'Brien stepped forward to bury the resultant penalty.

The half time score was Blackrock 2 - 3 to 1 -2

On the resumption Colm Murphy fired over a 65 for Blarney to leave a goal in it. Then followed a period when scores were hard to come by. Paul Bennett broke the deadlock with a well taken point.

The introduction of David Healy at right-half back saw him dropping some fine long clearances to Patrick Deasy, while Eoin O'Farrell began to find the range also. A series of long range points from O'Farrell and Deasy allowed the Rockies to consolidate their lead in spite of Colm Murphy picking off two late points for the mid-Cork side.

Blackrock will now play Mallow in the County Final at Pairc Ui Rinn on Wednesday 3rd October under lights.

Blackrock: Patrick Deasy 1 - 5 (2f), Eoin O'Farrell (0 - 3) Paul O'Brien (1 - 0) pen. Eoin Hickey (0 - 1), Domhnall Cremin (0 - 1), Paul Bennett (0 - 1)

Blackrock panel

Blackrock National Hurling Club.

Fé 16 2007 against Blarney in Erin Own's Pitch, Caherlag

22th September 2007

1 Paul O' Brien

2 3 4 Richie Laide Mark Ryan Andrew Hayes

5 6 7 Diarmaid MacCurtain Elliot Cantwell(Capt.) James Heylin

8 9 Eoin O' Farrell Paul Bennett (Vice-Captain)

10 11 12 Colmán Ruiséal David O' Mahony Patrick Deasy (Vice-Captain)

13 14 15 Donal Cremin Eoin Hickey Mikey Aherne


16 Cian Hartnett 22 David Vaughan 28 John Fitzgerald 17 Seán Daly(i) 23 Eoin O' Leary 29 Ross O' Sullivan 18 Eoin O' Meara 24 Brian Healy 30 David Healy 19 Dylan Stokes 25 Luke Fogarty 31 Ronan Devine 20 Shane Keane 26 Luke Conway 32 Aaron Giltenan 21 Cian Linehan 27 Shane Keane



September 2007

Under 16 Championship 

Blackrock 3 - 19 Bandon 1 - 9 

in Bandon on Sunday evening the 9th September

A great second half by the Rockies accounted for Bandon at sun drenched Charlie Hurley Park in Bandon on Sunday evening the 9th September. Leading by two points at half time despite playing against a stiff wind, the Rockies opened up after the interval and with Patrick Deasy and Eoin O'Farrell firing points over from long range, the West Cork lads had no answer.

Bandon started well and were three points up after 10 minutes, with Stephen Lynch at full forward in great form. Half back James Heylin opened the scoring for the Rockies with a point. However a crucial goal from Domhnall Cremin after 15 minutes following a high ball from Patrick Deasy had Blackrock a point ahead 1 - 3 to 5 points. Eoin O'Farrell had converted two points and when Michael Ahern doubled on a ball to the net from the edge of the square a few minutes later, it looked all over for Bandon.

To their credit however they fought back with a goal and a point from Fionn O'Leary.

Michael Ahern added a quick point after half time and then followed four unanswered points from Patrick Deasy as he cut loose. One was from 70 meters on the sideline. When David O'Mahony broke through to fire in a goal in the 50th minute it was match over. Eoin O'Farrell then decided to better Pat Deasy and fired over 5 points himself and with Donal Cremin and Sean Daly adding points, Blackrock were scoring at will.

Denis Cronin and Michael Minihane at centre-back tried hard for Bandon all the way through but they could not be everywhere. Stephen Lynch must have played everywhere for Bandon and is an impressive hurler. He finished with 6 points.

Mark Ryan settled well and finished strongly at full back while Elliot Cantwell dominated at centre-back for the Rockies. Diarmuid McCurtain was very resilient at wing back, while Domhnall Cremin was always dangerous at corner forward. While the Rockies were slow to start, their second half performance was excellent. Bigger challenges lie ahead.

Scorers for Blackrock: Patrick Deasy (0 - 7, 4f), Eoin O'Farrell (0 - 7 ), Domhnall Cremin 1 - 2 , Michael Ahern 1 - 1, David O'Mahony 1 - 0, James Heylin 0 - 1, Sean Daly 0 - 1


Under 16 2007 City Championship Final.

Blackrock 1 - 17 Douglas 2 - 10 (after extra time)

Played at Pairc Ui Rinn, 4th September 2007.

It took 80 minutes of hurling on a humid Tuesday evening for the Con O'Callaghan Perpetual Memorial Trophy to return to Blackrock for the first time since 1999. By 35 minutes the Rockies were 7 points ahead and yet it took a last minute Cathal Hannon point for Blackrock to take the match to extra time.

Douglas made a very brave fight back and only for an unbelievable save by Paul O'Brien from a point blank shot by Douglas substitute full forward Paul O'Halloran in the final minutes of extra time the result could have been very different.

Cathal Hannon had opened the scoring for Blackrock with a point after a minute; however some sloppy defending by Blackrock allowed Douglas keeper Niall Scannell to bang the resultant penalty to the net.

The next 10 minutes saw the Rockies at their very best, with 2 points each from play from Eoin O'Farrell, Domhnall Cremin and Pat Deasy while David Healy contributed a goal and a point. The goal, resulting from a first time pull on a ground ball following a classic build up. This was the Rockies hurling at their very best and Douglas had no answer.

Then inexplicably they allowed Douglas back into the match coming up to half time.

James Furlong converted a free, while Olan Birmingham fired over a lovely point from virtually the corner flag. The score at the interval was Blackrock 1 - 8 to Douglas 1 - 3.

Two early points from Pat Deasy frees increased the lead. Then even more inexplicably, many of the Rockies forwards decided their nights work was over. Douglas however had other ideas and slowly but surely James Furlong with four points, two from frees and two from play narrowed the gap as players such as Graham Carroll attacked a tiring Blackrock defence.

When Ronan Kelly banged in the equalizing goal in the 45th minute, the game was well and truly on, even more so when Douglas went ahead a few minutes later. Donal Cremin equalized and it took Cathal Hannon's late point to cancel out the subsequent point for Douglas from Graham Carroll.

Blackrock can thank the central spine of the backs with Mark Ryan and Elliot Cantwell rising to the challenge. Their long clearances helped to break down the Douglas attacks. Paul O'Brien was coolness personified in the goal while Eoin O'Farrell was running himself into the ground. However the work rate of many of the Rockies seemed to drop off as Douglas increased the pressure.

Douglas failed to score in the first period of extra time, while the Rockies added points from Domhnall Cremin and two from Pat Deasy to leave three points in it entering the second period of extra time. However it was apparent that the failure to convert chance after chance could leave the Rockies exposed in the run in.

Two incidents turned the game! A big call from referee James Dorgan midway through this second period when he correctly disallowed a Douglas goal for square ball did not help those with weak hearts. However the key moment arrived a minute later when Paul O'Halloran's bullet was saved and cleared by Paul O'Brien to deny Douglas the equalizer. When Pat Deasy converted the final free for the insurance score, only then did a brave Douglas team finally capitulate.

Both sides gave brave displays. Douglas simply refused to be beaten and lads such as James Furlong and Graham Carroll tried everything to grab victory and could be considered somewhat unlucky in the end.

Blackrock have to be credited with amazing resilience and 18 scores over the 80 minutes is not a bad return. That said they can thank several of their backs and mid fielder O'Farrell for keeping them in it at the end. The work of Patrick Deasy up front was excellent and he worked hard all through as did Domhnall Cremin. However two "fade outs" against a better team may not permit much margin of error in another contest.

The referee, James Dorgan had total control over the game and rightly and regularly penalised dissent. The obvious cooperation between linesmen, umpires and referee was excellent and a template for under age games. It was actually easy to referee in many ways as there was not a deliberate foul stroke throughout the game. The two sets of hurlers deserve great praise for the wonderful display of hurling which kept the large crowd on edge from 6.35 to 8.25 at Pairc Ui Rinn.

Blackrock: Paul O'Brien, Richard Laide, Mark Ryan, Andrew Hayes,Diarmuid McCurtain, Elliot Cantwell (Capt.) James Heylin, Eoin O'Farrell, ( 0 - 2) Colman Ruiseal,Eoin Hickey,Paul Bennett, Patrick Deasy, ( 0 - 8, 4 f) Domhnall Cremin, ( 0 - 4) Cathal Hannon, (0 - 2) David Healy, (1 - 1) Cian Hartnett, David O' Mahony, Eoin O'Meara, Mike Ahern,Sean Daly, Cian Linehan,David Vaughan, Eoin O'Leary, Brian Healy, Luke Fogarty, Shane Keane,Luke Conway, Aaron Giltenan, Ronan Devine, John Fitzgerald, Dylan Stokes.



August 2007

Under 16 Championship 

Blackrock 3 - 16 Bishopstown 2 - 17 (after extra time) 

at Douglas on Friday evening 31st August

This game warmed the autumnal chill at Douglas on Friday evening 31st August.

The Rockies looked to be out of the Championship with 10 minutes remaining being five points behind. Nine minutes later Blackrock trailed by four points. Then a ground shot from Pat Deasy wound up in the Bishopstown net. Paul O'Brien brought off a tremendous save in the Blackrock goal to be followed by a magnificent point from all of 90 metres from Eoin O'Farrell to level the game.

Brilliant start Blackrock had started well and were 1 - 2 to 0 - 2 ahead by the 10th minute. Michael Ahern fired in a good goal while Pat Deasy and Domhnall Cremin added the points. Olan Ryan had responded for Bishopstown. Pat Deasy put over a further point from a free to increase the lead to four points by the 15th minute. Amazingly Blackrock did not score again until early in the second half. Cian Dunne from play and frees added four points while Shane Dunne blasted a 21 yard free to the net.

During this period only Mark Ryan at full back coped with the constant pressure while Elliot Cantwell cleared regularly, although he was troubled by Cian Dunne's tenacious play. Eoin O'Farrell continued to play very well throughout but it must have been frustrating for the backs to see how quickly the ball was coming back as the Blackrock forwards were out hurled.

The score at the interval was Bishopstown 1 - 7, Blackrock 1 - 3.

Scores were difficult to come by in the second half and mid way through both sides had exchanged points, Eoin O'Farrell for the Rockies and Olan Ryan for Bishopstown. The Rockies however had failed to convert at least a half dozen good goal chances in this period. The unerring accuracy of Bishops town's Shane Dunne, whose ability to convert long range frees amazed the huge crowd stretched the lead to five points with 50 minutes gone. Eoin O'Farrell and Pat Deasy pulled back two points from frees while Olan Ryan struck again.

Exciting finish With the referee literally looking at his watch, Deasy struck for a goal while Eoin O'Farrell's wondrous score levelled the game and brought it to extra time. In the fading light, Cathal Hannon cancelled out a Bishopstown goal in extra time with a close in goal. Shane Dunne again fired over two frees and a 65, however Rockies man of the match Eoin O'Farrell added two more points from frees and two from play to leave the Rockies somewhat fortunate victors by two points.

This game of hurling was not one for those of a nervous disposition and confirmed once again the excellence of the standards, passion and commitment in city hurling. One will not readily forget that brave gigantic equalising point of Eoin O'Farrell or the long range free-taking performance of Shane Dunne. In the gathering gloom of the evening, amidst the celebrations and heartbreak, these memories will live on regardless.

Blackrock: Paul O'Brien, Richard Laide,Mark Ryan, Andrew Hayes; Sean Daly, Elliot Cantwell, James Heylin; Eoin O'Farrell (0 - 8 4f), Paul Bennett (0 - 1); Eoin Hickey, Cathal Hannon (1 - 1), Patrick Deasy (1 - 5, 3f); Donal Cremin (0 - 1),David O'Mahony, Michael Ahern (1 - 0); Colman Ruiseal, Diarmuid McCurtain, Cian Lenihan.


Under 16 hurling Championship. 

Blackrock 1 - 15 Na Piarsaighs 1 - 12 

Played at Ballinlough on Sunday 19th August

This was a tough, tense contest in which the result was in doubt right to the end. Played before a fine crowd at Ballinlough on Sunday evening 19th August last, the northsiders started at a terrific pace and were 4 points to 1 ahead after 10 minutes. Although the Rockies settled quickly, Na Piarsaighs led at half time by 1 - 8 to 9 points.

An outstanding performance from Eoin O'Farrell whose points from play and placed balls contributed to the Rockies taking the lead early in the second half. When Blackrock keeper Paul O'Brien drove a penalty to the net the Rockies led by 1 - 12 to 1 - 8 at the three quarter stage. However Na Piarsaigh sensing danger then rallied and with Timmy Lynch to the fore, they fought back.

However the Blackrock defence dug deep and with Mark Ryan at full back and Elliot Cantwell at centre back performing heroically, the Rockies held on for a well-merited victory.



July 2007

Under 16 League. 

Blackrock 2 - 13 Fermoy 1 - 13. 

at Church Road on Tuesday 3rd July

There was very little in this game played at Church Road on Tuesday 3rd July in blustery conditions. The highlight of the game was the masterful display at centre field from Eoin O'Farrell, who wound up with a total score of 1 - 5 from play and placed balls. His goal after 20 minutes was a classic as he burst straight through the Fermoy defence to convert.

Blackrock did not have it all their own way as young Jack O'Brien from Fermoy also had a fine game from centre field. The North Cork side certainly troubled the Rocky defence which conceded a total of.14 frees in all. These frees enabled Fermoy to stay in touch.

Mark Ryan had a great hour for the Rockies at full-back, while Richard Laide provided valuable support at corner-back. Diarmuid McCurtain worked hard also and contributed some lengthy clearances. Up front Michael Ahern scored some valuable points while David O'Mahony got a vital goal.

Blackrock panel. Paul O'Brien; Richard Laide,Mark Ryan, Sean Daly; Diarmuid McCurtain, Elliot Cantwell, James Heylin; Eoin O'Farrell, Colman Ruiseal; Eoin O'Mara, David O'Mahony,Cian Linehan,Andrew Hayes, Cathal Hannon, Michael Ahern, Brian Healy, Shane Keane.


Carlow Town Cup 2007. 


Blackrock under 16s were represented at the All-Ireland Club under 16 Finals at Carlow on Saturday 7th July. In spite of several regulars being absent due to holidays, Blackrock progressed to the semi-final stages after emerging from a very competitive group consisting of Mungret, Dungarvan and Ballyragget. It eventually took a series of 65s to decide the issue. In the semi final the Rockies lost out to Dicksboro by four points, in another tough contest. It was a great achievement in the circumstances and the experience gained should be worthwhile



May  2007

Under 16B Hurling. 


Played on 3rd May at Church Road. 


Blackrock 5 - 3 Bishopstown 1 - 6 


There was very little between these sides in a very closely contested first half. The Rockies however had 11 wides in this period. The half time score was 2 - 1 to 1 - 3. Blackrock however found the target in the second half and when Graham Dineen making a welcome return got going, he got some all important scores. Graham finished with 3 - 1. Paul Cahalane added two goals. Richard Conroy in goal had a fine game while Ronan Devine hurled well over the hour. Blackrock had other good performers in Luke Fogarty, Conall Deevy, Stephen Ring and Ciaran Fleming.



April 2007

Under 16B League 

Played at Brian Dillons on 19th April 

Blackrock 2 - 12 Brian Dillons 3 - 9.

This was a hugely entertaining game of hurling from two very committed sides.The game was also level at half time at 2 - 6 each. Michael Ahern scored 1 - 4 in total for the Rockies, including a point from an outstanding sideline cut. Sean Daly had a great game at full-back while David Vaughan operating at half forward also had a fine outing. Stephen Ring and Eoin O'Leary got some lovely long range points while Ronan Devine put away a great goal.


Under 16 league. 

Blackrock 4-5 Carrigtwohill 1-9. 

Played at Church Road on Tuesday 17th April 2007

This was the Rockies first league match for 2007. It was a good game and Carrigtwohill played some excellent hurling throughout the night. Their two midfielders, Alan Horgan and Ory Donoghue were excellent and were consistent through out the game. Kieran Baverstock was very good at full forward, but was well marshalled by Blackrock's Mark Ryan. He did manage to score a goal in the second half. The full back Tomás Horgan played well despite the Rockies scoring four goals, which proved vital in the end for them.

Paul O' Brien was excellent in the goals and his clever puck-outs helped immensely. Paul Bennett played very well at centre forward and kept the ball moving. He was marking the best player of the opposition, Colm Cronin but Paul was up to the challenge. David O' Mahony played well at full forward and scored an excellent goal in the first half. Patrick Deasy was outstanding in the forty in the first half and scored some beautiful points from play. He also delivered the ball well to the inside forwards. When moved to mid-field in the second half he continued to play well.

David Healy was excellent at Centre Back and cleared his lines very well. This is not his usual position, but as Elliot Cantwell was injured he filled the post with distinction. The two wing backs in Richard Laide and James Heylin were towers of support to him and cleared well. The full back line of Ross O' Sullivan Mark Ryan and Diarmaid MacCurtain held firm thoughout the game. Blackrock were guilty of giving away soft frees, which ensured the East Cork lads were always in the game. Michael Harrington refereed this game very well and both teams were very disciplined.

In the second half some soft frees were given away by us which were scored by Carig tohill. When they scored the goal we were now in trouble and upset was on the cards. But up stepped Dan Coughlan and scored a cracker of a goal, which brought us back into it.


Paul O' Brien, Ross O' Sullivan, Mark Ryan, Diarmaid MacCurtain, Richard Laide, David Healy, James Heylin, Eoin O' Farrell, Colmán Ruiséil Dan Coughlan, Paul Bennett, Paul Deasy. Ciarán Fleming, David O' Mahony, Cian Lenihan.

Subs: Shane Keane for C. Fleming. Tom Kelleher for Cian. Lenihan.


Jason Leahy, Wm McCarthy, Tomás Hogan Cathal McCarthy Donal O' Mahony, Colm Cronin, Colm O' Donovan, Alan Horgan, Ory Donoghue, Cian Rohan, Alan Conroy, Cian Buckley Kevin Murphy, Kieran Baverstock, James O' Donovan.






Nov 2006


City Championship under 15 Final. 

City Championship under 15 Final.

Blackrock 3 - 10 Glen Rovers 3 - 9 (after extra time)

Blackrock and Glen Rovers lit up the dark cold November evening at Bishopstown serving up a exhilarating 80 minutes of hurling before the Rockies triumphed by a single point following a nail-biting finish. It was the first major victory for this under 15 Blackrock panel, which has shown tremendous resolve to continue hurling despite past defeats.

When Blackrock captain Paul Bennett accepted the Paddy Fox Collins trophy on behalf of the panel, it consigned the memory of these past defeats to history.

After 12 minutes, Blackrock led by 2 goals to a point after a brave solo effort by David O'Mahony to finish off a fine Blackrock move. Eoin O'Farrell then scored an opportunist goal from a 21 yard free when he drove strongly to the net.

The Glen then fought their way back into the game with the aid of a goal and a point from Danny O'Callaghan and by the 25th minute levelled 2 - 1 to 1 - 4. Patrick Deasy had added a point from a free to the Rocky total.

Following a brilliant individual effort from Colman Ruiseal the Rockies led at half time by a single point, 2 - 2 to 1 - 4. The Glen keeper John Corcoran then brought off a tremendous save from a rasper of a shot from Patrick Deasy just before half time.

Cian Lenihan struck for a further goal after half time and with the aid of the wind Pat Deasy added two points from a free and a play. When David O'Mahony pointed a further effort, there were two goals separating the sides after 21minutes. The Glens sole response was a point from Andy Evans.

However, when Evans changed to centrefield from a forward position where he joined up with Eoin O'Flaherty, the game turned again.

A 21 yard free was driven to the net by Evans and following very slack defending by Blackrock a further goal followed from Dean Brosnan to leave the sides level with five minutes remaining. Patrick Deasy then exchanged points with Andy Evans to leave the sides level at 3 - 6 each when referee Colm Lyons called a halt.

The blocking from both defences was top class as both teams chased victory in the muddy conditions. In extra time scores were at a premium due to tired legs and the fear of errors. Patrick Deasy put over three points in total from frees while Eoin O'Farrell scored a beautiful point from the half way line near the sideline.

The sides however were level with 3 minutes to go when Pat Deasy converted the last free to win an enthralling encounter. The final whistle from Colm Lyons, who had refereed the game with complete authority and who tolerated no verbal dissent, signalled jubilation and despair in equal measure.

This game, like a good wine just had better and better and although there had to be a loser on the day, both clubs can be confident of the future of hurling with the commitment these teams displayed.

In the Blackrock defence, Paul O'Brien put in a great finish when the pressure was at its strongest while Mark Ryan, Diarmuid McCurtain and Richard Laide never put a foot wrong.

Elliot Cantwell worked tirelessly at centre back supported by a brilliant James Heylin and Cathal Hannon. Eoin O'Farrell distributed a huge amount of ball throughout the game while Colman Ruiseal worked from start to finish.

Patrick Deasy made a huge contribution on the day with 7 points in all. Daniel Coughlan and Paul Bennett kept going and ensured the Glen never got in clearances very easily.

The full forward line also contributed two goals and a point with David O'Mahony pitching in with 1 - 1 and Cian Lenihan adding a goal. Graham Dineen was in the thick of things at all times.

The work put in by David Coakley, Brother Patrick Fitzgibbon, Pat Deasy (senior) Martin O'Farrell, John Vaughan, Ronan Coakley and other Rocky coaches over the past decade had finally produced a tangible reward.

Blackrock Panel.

Paul O'Brien, Diarmuid McCurtain, Mark Ryan, Richard Laide, James Heylin, Elliot Cantwell, Cathal Hannon, Eoin O'Farrell 1 - 1(1 - 0 free) , Colman Ruiseal, (0 - 1) Patrick Deasy (0 - 7 five frees and a 65),Paul Bennett, Daniel Coughlan, Graham Dineen, David O'Mahony (1 - 1), Cian Lenihan (1 - 0), Sean Daly, Shane Keane, David Vaughan, Brian Healy, Fergal Walsh, Ross O'Sullivan, David Healy, Ciaran Fleming, Stephen Barrett.


Nov 2006


Under 15 Championship Semi-Final. 

Blackrock 2 - 8 Na Piarsaigh 2 - 4 

Blackrock started well in this game played at Na Piarsaighs grounds on Saturday 18th November and raced into an early lead, following points from Eoin O'Farrell from frees. Patrick Deasy also added in with a fine point. David O'Mahony grabbed a loose ball and struck a low bouncing ball which deceived the Piarsaighs keeper for a good goal after 20 minutes to enable the Rockies to lead at half time by 1 - 3 to 0 - 0.

Na Piarsaighs hit back immediately after the resumption with a goal within a minute. However Blackrock with ongoing points from frees, 65s and play by Eoin O'Farrell (he finished with 6 points in total) kept the lead intact.

The key moment arrived when Paul Bennett brilliantly caught a 65 dropped in by O'Farrell, turned and struck the net from 25 meters. Although Na Piarsaighs kept up the pressure and Pa O'Rourke struck the Rocky net from near the sideline, they could not bridge the gap.

Elliot Cantwell was as solid as a rock in the heart of the Blackrock defence, while Cathal Hannon put in a great hour. Up front Cian Lenihan contributed a very accomplished performance for the Rockies. When referee Colm Lyons, who controlled the game well, blew for full time Blackrock had advanced to a final meeting with Glen Rovers. The final has been fixed for Bishopstown on Saturday 25th November at 2.30.


Oct 2006


Under 15 Championship. 

Blackrock 1 - 11 Douglas 1 - 4. 

Played in Douglas on Saturday 7th October

In this game there was very little in it until about 10 minutes from time, when Blackrock scored six unanswered points and ran out winners. The first half was evenly contested and only a point separated the sides at the interval when the Rockies led by 1 - 4 to 0 - 3. Cian Lenihan had goaled for Blackrock while Eoin O'Farrell had been outstanding. The Blackrock half back line of Pat Deasy, Elliot Cantwell and Diarmuid McCurtain were always in command.

In the second half, early points were again exchanged. Cathal Hannon in an unaccustomed role at centre-forward put over two fine points. Then as a brave Douglas side tired the Rockies put on the pressure. Eoin O'Farrell, who finished with six points in total from frees and play enabled Blackrock to build up a commanding lead approaching the final whistle.


Sept 2006


City under 15 League

Played at the Glen Field Sunday 17th September. 

Blackrock 1 - 7 Glen Rovers 0 - 10 


A draw was a fitting result in this hard fought contest in the City under 15 League. The Rockies with points from Paul bennett, Eoin O'Farrell and Patrick Deasy start well. However the Glen fought back with the outstanding Eoin O'Flaherty converting points from frees and play. 


An opportunist goal from Shane Keane just before the interval left the half time score at 1 - 3 to 0- 5. Points were exchanged throughout the second half with Eoin O'Farrell adding three for the Rockies and David Healy chipping in with another. O'Flaherty kept Glen Rovers in touch. 


Both defences were well on top with Elliot Cantwell and Diarmuid McCurtain to the fore for the Rockies. Both sides can be well satisfied with the result in what was a fine sporting game of hurling.


July 2006

Lord Mayors Cup 

Played at Church Road Thursday 6th July 2006

Blackrock 4 - 15 Na Piarsaigh 2 - 6

The Rockies were in great form when they took on a Na Piarsaighs team, short some in the Lord Mayors Cup game. With many Blackrock players also on holiday a few under 14s were chosen and played well. Diarmuid Mc Curtain was rock solid at full back and was ably assisted by Michael Ahern and Andrew Hayes as corner backs. Paul O' Brien was brilliant in goal and is taking a leaf out of Donal Óg Cusack's book in finding Rocky players with his puck outs.

Sean Daly scored 2-4 and David Healy scored 1-3, Seán is a versatile player as he is also a very good defender. Jamie Cullen scored a brace of points as did Patrick Deasy. Eoin O' Meara ran well at corner forward and got a nice goal and a few points. Na Piarsaigh was without their star forward, Timmy Lynch and a few other good players. Eoin Keohane played well as did Pa O' Rourke.

The Rockies next match is against the Barrs on Wed 12th July at 6.30 in Togher.

Team: Paul O' Brien, A. Hayes, D. MacCurtain, M. Ahern, A. Giltenan, E. Cantwell, R. Laide, P. Bennett,(Captain), Eoin O' Farrell, J. Cullen, P. Deasy, J. heylin, E, O' Meara, S. Daly, D. Healy.

Unfortunately, Luke Fogarty who came in at corner back at half time suffered a hand injury on full time and we wish him a full recovery. 

Donie Harris refereed this game very well.


May 2006


Under 15 League  

played at Na Piarsaigh Wednesday 3rd May. 

Blackrock 2-8 Na Piarsaigh 2-11. 

Click here for Report



April 2006


Under 15 League  

played at Church Road Saturday 22nd April 2006. 

Blackrock 3 --- 12 Carrigaline 0 --- 6. 

Click here for Report


The under 15s had an win over a much depleted Sarsfields side 

at Church Road also on Saturday 15th April 

Click here for Report


Under 15 league  

played at Church Road Saturday 8th April. 

Blackrock 8 --- 8 Blarney 3 --- 11. 

Click here for Report







March 2006

City League 2005 

played at Church Road Saturday 4th March. 

Blackrock 1 --- 8 Glen Rovers 1 --- 13.

Played in ideal conditions this game though well-contested had none of the excitement of these teams recent draw. The Glen first touch and the dominance of some of their players allowed then to lead from start to finish. In spite of playing with the wind, the Rockies were behind 0 --- 7 to 0--- 5 at half time. Eoin O'Farrell picked off two nice points while Pat Deasy (2) and Paul Bennett were the other Rockies scorers. Andrew Evans at full-forward and Eoin O'Flaherty at centre field were playing well for the Glen and along with Wayne Fitzgerald contributed to the Glen tally.

Eoin O'Flaherty continued his dominance at centre field and scored some lovely points in the second half. When Andrew Evans tapped in a goal for the Glen after 10 minutes of the second half, Blackrock were always playing catch up. Elliot Cantwell had a great battle with Evans in the second half and their tussle was one of the highlights of the game.

When David Healy scored a goal after 20 minutes and with Paul Bennett coming more into the game it looked like a good finish was in prospect however man of the match O'Flaherty fired over two further points to keep the Glen ahead to the end. Cathal Hannon, Richard Laide and Patrick Deasy worked hard all through for the Rockies.



February 2006


Under 14 League (2005) 

Blackrock 3 --- 5 Glen Rovers 1 --- 11 

Glen Field on Sunday 5th February.2006

This was a very exciting game of hurling played at the Glen Field on Sunday 5th February.2006

With key Rockies such as Patrick Deasy and Cathal Hannon ill it meant that David Healy was placed at centre back and Cian Linehan at corner forward with James Heylin lining out at mid-field. David was a revelation at centre-back and gave a man of the match performance. He was fouled in his own half and the free which he took himself, all of 75metres ended up in the net! Cian Linehan was also outstanding and scored a wonderful goal when he doubled on a ball in the air. David O' Mahony scored the Rockies third goal.

At full time the scores were level. 3-1 to 1-7. The Glen were first off the blocks in extra time with a good point, but Eoin O Farrell replied with a marvellous point to even matters again. The Rockies went ahead with a fine point from Paul Bennett, which was replied to be Eoin O Flaherty from a free to level matters once more. The second half of extra time was hectic as both teams had chances to win it, from play and from frees. The pressure was now telling and tiredness was affecting both sets of players. It ended on the score of 3-5 to 1-11. A draw was a fair result and the large attendance certainly got very good entertainment with fine displays of good hurling from two very committed teams. Neither team deserved to lose this excellent game of hurling.

Blackrock: P. O' Brien, R. O' Sullivan, E. Cantwell, D. MacCurtain, R. Laide, D. Healy, M. O' Brien, P. Bennett, J. Heylin. C. Ruiséal, D. O' Mahony, S. Daly. G. Dineen, E.O' Farrell, C. Linehan. Subs: D. Vaughan, B. Healy, C. Fleming, K. O' Byrne, P. Deasy.




September 2005


Under 14 Championship.

Blackrock 0 --- 9 Douglas 2 --- 6.

September 17th

Level at half time at 0 ---5 each, Blackrock then went into a two point lead and besieged the Douglas goal but could not get the important scores. In two quick breaks the Douglas forwards fired in two goals and defended their lead tenaciously in the final minutes to emerge victorious.


Under 14 Championship.

Played at Bishopstown Wednesday 7th September 2005.

Blackrock 3 --- 5 Glen Rovers 1 --- 4.

What a difference a week makes in sport! Beaten by 23 points by Glen Rovers in the semi-final of the Lord Mayors Cup a week ago, the Rocky under 14s dug very deep to pull off an amazing victory. The sheer determination of Daniel Coughlan running 50 meters in the final minute to score a fantastic goal was great to see while the overall team spirit right through the game was outstanding.

David Healy, playing at full forward in the first half scored an early goal for Blackrock after 10 minutes. Eoghan O'Farrell added a point from a free a few minutes later which was countered by a similar point from the Glen. David O'Mahony then added a further point to leave the score at 1 --- 2 to 0 --- 1 after 20 minutes.

When the Rockies were awarded a penalty it was a brave decision by Eoghan O'Farrell to go for the goal, however he struck it to the net and added a further point from a free for good measure to leave the half time score at 2 --- 3 to a point. It has to be said however that the Rockies should have been further ahead given their dominance; however 11 wides in this half did not help their cause, while John Corcoran in the Glen goal caught 5 balls under the crossbar.

Glen Rovers countered with a goal 5 minutes into the second half from Eoin O'Flaherty. Scores were hard to come by for both sides and the Glen in turn were guilty of serious inaccuracies from frees in this half. Points from Colman Ruiseal and David O'Mahony kept the Rockies in front. Pat Deasy was brilliant at centreback while Richard Laide, Elliot Cantwell and Diarmuid Mc Curtain in the full back line held firm. Paul Bennett at centre field made some great runs and delivered quality ball to the forwards.

The Glen through to form attacked right to the end and with a series of points brought the score difference down to 4 points. Then a series of four fine saves from Paul O' Brien in goal for Blackrock prevented the Glen from snatching the all important goal, and instead the amazing Coughlan goal ended the scoring.



August 2005

The summer has been relaxed in the hurling fields due to many families being away. After our

The summer has been relaxed in the hurling fields due to many families being away. After our excellent performance in the Feile we are now in training for the city championship. Many of the players are getting back to fitness again and Paul Bennet is now called up to the Cork u-14 panel and will play for Cork on Saturday 27th in the Mount Sion pitch Waterford. Best of luck to Paul.

We had a challenge match against a Kerry selection in July, but many of our players were on holidays and so we were a little depleted. Cathal Hannon played well and a few new players gave of their best, Brian Healy and Ciaran Fleming. We had two games in the Lord Mayors Cup, one against Carrigaline and Douglas, won the former and drew the latter. Both were good games and the fitness level is increasing with every game.

We played a challenge game against Valley Rovers last evening, which we won easily, even without the services of Paul Bennett who was training with the Cork team. Most played well, Eoin O' Farrell was superb at mid-field and Pat Deasy was excellent in his unfamiliar position of centre forward as was Richard Laide at corner forward. Elliot was his usual best at full back and Mark Ryan was outstanding at left half back. Graham Dineen was in an unusual position of full forward, but gave a very good account of himself. The u-13s were excellent, Aaron Giltinane, Stephen Ring, Donal Cremin and Andrew Hayes at corner back gave a fine performance. All played well and it is impossible to name all.

Br. Patrick Fitzgibbon



June 2005



Blackrock under 14s were well beaten by Glen Rovers at the Glen field on Wednesday evening June 8th. 

Short a large number of regulars, the Rockies played well in the first half however the concession of some early goals in the second half meant there was no way back. Paul O’Brien in goal, Cathal Hannon and Elliot Cantwell were the pick of the Rockies on the night.


Under 14 league.

Blackrock 4 --- 2 Carrigaline 3 --- 10.

Blackrock were short a number of regulars for this game played on Wednesday 1st June at Church Road, however they fought very hard and were unlucky not to be even closer at the end. Elliot Cantwell had an outstanding match in the backline; time and again he put in some long clearances. Daniel Coughlan playing at half back won some fine ball and showed great determination throughout the game. Eoin O'Farrell played very well in the second half and gave a very spirited performance from centrefield.


May 2005

Under 14 County Final.


Blackrock 4 --- 7  Na Piarsaigh 4 --- 9.


Played at Ballinlough on Saturday 21st May, the lead changed many times in the course of this gripping final. However Na Piarsaigh showed greater hunger and determination in the final ten minutes and to them went the victory. Blackrock played well for some periods but could not maintain the momentum over the hour. After 45 minutes the Rockies were 4 --- 6 to 2 --- 7 ahead but did not score from play after that to the final whistle. The game was lost in this period.


The first half was a real ding dong affair with David Healy of Blackrock and Timmy Lynch of Na Piarsaigh exchanging regular scores. Goals from Healy and David O’Mahony were cancelled out by two goals from the northsiders to leave the score at the interval 2 --- 6 to 2 --- 4 to the Rockies.


The Rockies started well and  banged in two goals early on however Na Piarsaigh stormed back into the match and with Eoghan Keohane at full back, Pa O’Rourke at midfield and Timmy Lynch at centre forward they had match winners. Paul O’Brien had a good game in goal and brought off one brilliant save while Elliot Cantwell and Diarmuid McCurtain played very well all through. Paul Bennett had a mighty battle with Timmy Lynch and cleared some great ball. Pat Deasy and Eoin O’Farrell (despite carrying an injury) worked hard at centre field. Up front the Rockies lacked penetration and while Graham Dineen took his two goals well David Healy was the clear target man. This panel will now turn its attention to the Feile competition which will be held in Cork between the 17th and 19th June. 



Under 14 Premier County Championship semi-final.


Played at Blarney Saturday 14th May.


Blackrock 5 --- 8 Mallow 3 --- 8

Despite playing with a strong wind in the first half Blackrock were just 7 points up at half time.  The scoreline was 1 --- 7 to 0 --- 3. The goal was scored by David O’Mahony after some good approach work by Ronan Devine. The Mallow forwards had looked extremely sharp, especially Eoin O’Connell however the Rockies goalie Paul O’Brien, aided by Elliot Cantwell at full-back and Patrick Deasy at centre-back had played very well.

However immediately after the interval, Mallow were rocked by two goals from Captain David Healy, one from a free. Colman Ruiseal ran at the Mallow defence assisted by Eoin O’Farrell and Paul Bennett from centre field.

Mallow however responded with some excellent scores and there was just 5 points in it with ten minutes to go. David Healy however completed his hat trick while Paul Bennett banged in a further goal to extend Blackrock lead in the closing stages. A magnificent display from the Rocky back lines held a gallant Mallow at bay in the final stages.

Blackrock have now qualified for the County Final versus the winners of Na Piarsaigh and Blarney. The final will be played on Saturday next 21st May 



Under 14 League. 


Wednesday 11th May

Blackrock had a comprehensive victory over Na Piarsaigh in their league fixture played at the Na Piarsaigh complex. The Rockies fired on all cylinders right from the beginning of this game and had a large lead by half time. Paul Bennett and Eoin O’Farrell dominated centre-field, while the half backs including Cathal Hannon, Richard Laide and Pat Deasy cut off supply of ball to the dangerous Na Piarsaigh forwards. David O’Mahony and Colman Ruiseal proved very effective up front.



April 2005

Under 14 County Championship.

The Rockies accounted for a lively Cloughduv team in a match played at Church Road on Monday 25th April. Captain David Healy gave a fine performance, while Paul Bennett played some superb hurling at centerfield along with Eoin O’Farrell. Elliot Cantwell was very solid at full back. Donal McCarthy, Colm Ryan and Brian Lynch gave great displays for Cloghduv.

 In the County under 14 Quarter Final played at Church Road on Saturday 30th April, Blackrock had a comfortable win over a skilful Carrigtwohill team. James Heylin, Graham Dineen, Kevin O’Byrne, and Diarmuid McCurtain along with Ronan Devine were excellent for the Rockies, while goalkeeper Jason Leahy, Tomas Hogan at centre back, Alan Horgan and Alan Conroy played outstanding hurling for the east Cork side.


Under 14 league at Church Road. 

Tuesday 12th April.

Blackrock 1 --- 8 Bishopstown 2 --- 2  

Click here for match report


Under 14 league at Togher 

April 2nd 2005 


Click here for match report





October 2004


Under 13 league playoff at Church Road on Sunday Oct 31.


Blackrock 3 --- 2 Carrigaline 1 --- 10.

Despite a fantastic goal from David Healy just on the stroke of halftime to put the Rockies two points ahead, 2 --- 2 to 0 --- 6 they could not capitalise on it in the second half and allowed Carrigaline to dominate much of this period. Healy contributed two goals and a point of the Rockies total while Colman Ruiseal a goal and Eoin O’Farrell a point completed the scoring.  James Heylin and Richard Laide played well for Blackrock.


nder 13 Championship.

In this game played at Douglas on Sunday morning October 9th Douglas went ahead 3 --- 7 to 0 --- 3 at half time having played with the wind. 

Liam Kennefick was in devastating form from placed balls and put away 1 --- 7 in total. Despite a spirited Rockies fight back their valiant efforts fell just short at the end. 

David Healy scored 2 goals and 4 points while Eoin O’Farrell added three fine points to leave the final score at Douglas 3 --- 10 Blackrock 2 --- 7.

U-13 visit to Dicksboro.

The team went to Dicksboro, Kilkenny on Saturday 2nd October on an invitation to play a tournament. We left Church Road at 8.45am and headed for Kilkenny. The road seemed long and by the time we were in Cahir there were screams for a stop at a shop. Money had to be spent! The boss gave in after many pleas and cries! Food was bought and consumed very quickly.

We then headed for Kilkenny. Once we arrived in Clonmel, there were questions as to how long more. Then large tanks were spotted near Clonmel and again more questions as to what they contained. Apple juice was the answer from the boss! Another question, where do the apples come from? The boss had a pain in his head at this stage and replied, off trees.

We eventually arrived in Callan and again questions as to how long more. No reply this time. Then the boss got on the phone and was talking to somebody in Dicksboro. At the first roundabout turn left and a grey Honda Civic will meet ye! No need to tell the bus driver as the boys had already told him to look out for a grey Honda Civic. The boss must be foolish as he thought no one was listening to him on the phone! We went to the field and quickly changed for our matches. There were three others who travelled by car with another boss as the bus was full! They had to follow us as they did not know the way.

A guy from Kilkenny showed us to our dressing room and told us he was from Blackrock! All the boys were confused as he was speaking with a Kilkenny accent and not pronouncing his ts. How could he lose his Cork accent boy?

We played our first game against Dicksboro second team and the effects of the long journey were showing! We were totally on top in every part of the field except at scoring points or goals. In the second half we showed them how and scored a brace of goals and points and were easy winners. We were then treated to tea and sandwiches before our next game. Cork wit will never die! There was a shortage of cups as some were being washed. The lady explained that the cups would be ready soon. One boy asked would ye have 29 cups. She didn't reply.

We then went out to play O Loughlin Gaels of Kilkenny. Here we had a wonderful game of hurling. Our goalkeeper had a brilliant game and brought off some brilliant saves. David Healy, Paul Bennett and Colman Ruiseal played exceptionally well. In fact all played well. Again in for more tea and sandwiches.

Then out to play Dicksboro A team. We played well for a while and tiredness beat us in the finish. We lost by a few points, but we did ourselves proud and the usual players played well. David Healy was injured for this game, but this did not prevent him from doing his best. We came away with runner up medals.

We then set out for Cork again having had an enjoyable day out. The boss is still suffering from a headache. Could anyone explain why!

On Sunday morning at 11 we head for Douglas to play them in the championship and this is eagerly awaited. The best of luck to all.



September 2004


2004 Championship

All roads are going to be jammed on Sunday morning the 26th September as the Rockies under 13 head west to Ballincollig to play them in the first round of the championship. There is great anticipation about this match as both teams want to meet and show that they are purists in the art of hurling!

The Rockies have some good players ably led by Pat Deasy who holds down the centre back position. Alongside him will be POBS and Cathal Hannon and they have a very good rearguard marshalled by Mark Ryan. David Burke is the man holding down the last line of defence. PObs could also find himself running midfield along with Paul Bennett. Inside Eoin O' Farrell and David Healy should be a handful. Around them there are excellent players with Colman Ruiseal running down the line to pass the ball to Fergal Walsh inside. Oisin will be on the other corner to poach a goal or two. David O'Mahony will be a strong force inside near the opposing goal.

We wish them well as they set out on the first leg of the championship!

Dave, Ronan and Pa.


Under 13 league.

Played at Church Road Monday 20th September 2004.

Blackrock 2 --- 8 St. Vincents 2 --- 4.

Dusk falling as this match started, an Autumnal chill in the air and a strong crossfield wind cutting east/west along the back pitch.

Blackrock started well and were 1 --- 2 to no score ahead after 10 minutes, David O'Mahony converted the goal. Pat Deasy added two further points while David Healy and Chris Murphy bagged one each. Shane Buckley and Philip Cronin got one each for the northsiders to leave the score at 1 --- 6 to 0 --- 2 at half time. A feature of the first half was the many fine saves of 12 year old Christy O'Connell in goal for Vincents. He had a fine game and is one to watch for the future.

Vincents enjoyed more possession in the second half and Shane Buckley added a further point before they added a scrambled goal to leave just three points in it after 10 minutes of the second half. Eoin O'Farrell broke through twice to fire in a great goal and add a point. Vincents added a final goal in the last minute, to leave just four points in it.

It was a good hard game, with little between the sides, the Vincents quicker and tougher and more comfortable with ground hurling, the Rockies more accomplished and forceful in the air and with more cutting edge in the attack.



Under 13 Hurling League.


Blackrock 3 --- 10 Midleton 2 --- 5.


Played at Church Road, Monday 6th September 2004.


A mild humid evening and although preceeded by one of the hottest days of the year, it was becoming dark by 7.45, a timely portent of the winter. The match was a quite affair with little seperating the teams for most of the game. The kids are just back at school and with the early start neither team seemed highly motivated. Blackrock sparkled into life in the final 10 minutes to defeat the 2003 Under 12 County Champions.


The interval score was Blackrock 1 --- 3 Midleton 0 --- 4, an opportunist goal from Oisin O’Mahony being the main difference. David Healy had bagged two points while Eoin O’Farrell took his point well. Pat Deasy was playing well at centre-back while Bernard Long in the corner made some good clearances. Midleton were very dependent on placed balls, as they lacked penetration up front.


The second half was closely contested; however David Healy was making good runs aided by Paul Bennett and Colman Ruiseal. Richard Laide at half back also featured.

Young Healy continued to add points from play and placed balls. A further goal from Oisin O’Mahony when he doubled overhead on a dropping ball in the 45th minute kept the Rockies noses in front.


Midleton fought back with two goals, despite the best efforts of David Burke in goal, who had a fine game. Entering the final stages, Paul Bennett in a series of passing movements over 60 yards bore down on the Midleton goal and stuck it in the back of the net. He followed up with a fine point, while Healy completed the Rockies scoring with two further points.



David Healy 0 --- 8 (3 frees, 65), Oisin O’Mahony 2 --- 0, Paul Bennett 1 --- 2, Eoin O’Farrell 0 --- 1.


Referee: Donie Harris controlled the game in a perfect manner and tolerated no nonsense. The good attitude of the two teams made his job easy.



June 2004







November  2003

Under 12 League final.

The Blackrock under 12 team was well beaten by Na Piarsaigh in the final of the above competition played at Douglas last Saturday. Playing against a strong gale in the first half, the Rockies were behind by 4 --- 5 to 0 --- 1 at half time. The second half was evenly contested until the final minute when Na Piarsaigh scored three quick goals. Congratulations to Na Piarsaigh on their victory and well done to the young Rockies who did very well to qualify for this final.


October 2003

Under 12 league semi-final. Blackrock: 2 --- 6 Douglas: 1 --- 5. 

This match, played at Church Road last Saturday contained some great hurling from two excellent teams who gave everything. Douglas led at the interval by 1 --- 3 to 0 --- 4, however the Rockies fought back to level at 1 --- 5 each with less than ten minutes remaining. In a hard fought finish, a late goal from young Tom Kelleher ensured a Rocky win. Elliot Cantwell, Diarmuid Mc Curtain and Mark Ryan played well for Blackrock, while Liam Kennefick and Shane O' Sullivan shone for Douglas.

Tim Dennehy Tournament Report Oct 4th 2003

Last Sat. Blackrock hosted the U-12 Tim Dennehy hurling tournament. This was the third time this tournament has been run, and Blackrock emerged victorious for the first time, with Douglas and Youghal being previous winners.

6 teams took part - 5 from Cork and one from Tipperary - namely Clonoulty, Douglas, Bishopstown, Carrigtwohill, Charleville, and Blackrock. The games were very competetive and sporting and most of the games were tight with winning margins of only 2 or 3 points in most cases.

Blackrock and Charleville qualified from Group A for the semi-finals. With a late goal Douglas just edged out Carrigtwohill to give them the 2nd place spot behind Clonoulty in Group B.

After some exciting stuff, Blackrock and Clonoulty won through to the final, with Douglas and Charleville going forward to the Plate final.

In front of an enthusiastic crowd, Blackrock edged out Clonoulty in the final, by a goal. Blackrock had great peformances all throught the team, but on this occasion, Elliott Cantwell, Patrick Deasy, and Mark Ryan in defence, along with Eoin O' Farrell, Colman Ruiseal, and Oisin O Cadhla deserve special mention.

Douglas had a 2 point win over Charleville in a close Plate final.

Christopher Murphy accepted the cup from the Dennehy family, who also generously sponsored the tournament.

Many thanks to the referees, the ladies committee and anyone else who helped to make this an enjoyable occasion for all involved.


Tim Dennehy Tournament


September 2003


Midleton Dave Hogan Under-12 Blitz

The under 12 emerged victorious in the Midleton Dave Hogan Under 12 Blitz.

The under 12 hurling panel travelled to Midleton on Saturday 27th September to take part in the above blitz along with the hosts, Midleton, Douglas and Dungarvan.

After 3 preliminary games the Rockies qualified for the Final against Douglas. Trailing 1 --- 3 to 0 --- 3 at the interval, the Rockies finished strongly with from David Healy and Colman Ruiseal. Further points arrived from placed balls from Eoin O'Farrell and Patrick Deasy to emerge victorious.

The Blackrock National Hurling Club wishes to thank Midleton for inviting the club and for their hospitality for the day. Captain David Healy accepted the trophy from Jim O' Sullivan.


June 2003


Blackrock under 12s were defeated by Douglas on Saturday June 28th in the City championship by a point. The Rockies were winning by two points when a last minute goal by Paul O’Halloran of Douglas gave victory to the latter.  Final score; Douglas 3 goals, Blackrock 8 points.  Scorers for Blackrock, Owen O’ Farrell 4 points (1F) David O’ Mahony 2 points, Christopher Murphy 2 points. 


April 2003


Under 12 hurling training begins on Wednesday 9th April, Church Rd. 5.30pm to 6.45. and continue on Wednesdays 5.30 to 6.45



March 2003


Training Session Update

Blackrock under-12 (1991 Group) Hurling. The above groups training session at the Ashton School pitch will take place from 8pm to 9pm next Friday 14th March. The last two sessions on the 21st and 28th March will begin at 9pm.






2002 Superleagues

This group participated in the U10/11 Superleagues in 2002

Click here for details 


October 2002


William Ahern Tournament - RESULTS

 The Blackrock under 11s emerged victorious in the William Ahern tournament held at Church Road last Saturday. Despite very bad weather conditions, the standard of hurling was superb. Blackrock defeated Carrigaline by just one point in a very hard-fought match in the first semi-final. In the second semi-final extra time was required between Douglas and Sarsfields, before Douglas finished very strongly to clinch victory.

The final played in a downpour produced some very good hurling, before Blackrock emerged victorious over Douglas who fought hard to the end. Despite the weather conditions, both goalkeepers, Christopher Murphy for the Rockies and Alan Bermingham for Douglas had great games, while outfield David Healy, Pat Deasy and Owen O'Farrell excelled for the Rockies. Ronan O'Sullivan scored a lovely goal for the Rockies while Liam Kennefick played well for Douglas. The William Ahern trophy was presented to Blackrock captain Paul O' Brien by Tom Cashman, who congratulated all the young hurlers from the four clubs involved.

Click here for photos of the presentation of the Cup


William Ahern Under 11 Hurling Tournament. 

The finals of the William Ahern Tournament for under 11 hurling teams will be held at Church Road on next Saturday 26 th October commencing at 2pm. Blackrock will play Carrigaline in one semi-final while Douglas play Sarsfields in the second. There will also be a Plate final for the losing semi-finalists. All Rockies are to report to Church road at 1.30 pm. The under 11s will commence hurling at the magnificent astro pitch at Ashton School on Friday night November 1 st between 8 pm and 9 pm.



Under 11 coaching 

continues Church Road 5.30 on Wednesday afternoons.  This will transfer to Ashton School astro pitch on Friday evening 1st November.


September 2002



Fixture September 2002

Wednesday 18th September. Blackrock V Sarsfields (away) 6.30 pm - Under 11 panel report at 6.00 for the bus.


Under 11 Panel City leagues

Fixtures awaited

 Training Wednesdays 5.30.



June 2002

Update at June 7th

SouthEast League updates :

a) Match vs Ballinhassig (Away) goes ahead this Sat - June 8th. Those on the panel for this game - report at Church Rd. at 6pm. Match is at 7pm in Ballinhassig.

b) Match vs. Douglas I - Mon 10th - NOT ON ! Douglas have asked to refix this as they cannot play on Mon.. I'll update as soon as it's arranged.

c) Last Tue 4th June we played Carrigaline U-12s in the SouthEast league. Despite getting a soaking, and being short 3 regulars the lads put up a brilliant display, really coming back into it in the 2nd half. In the end there was only 2 pts in it - Blackrock 3-0; Carrigaline 2-5.

d) [MOVED] June 15th match vs Valley Rovers in Brinny :- Valley have asked us to move this to Thu. June 13th.


May 2002

Update at May 31st

* U-11 training Fri night at 6.15.

* Next match is v Carrigaline at Church Rd. on Tue June 4th at 6.45pm. Players to attend only if they are on the panel notified last week for Carrigaline match.

* Match v Ballinhassig likely to go ahead on Sat June 8 - this will be confirmed on this Fri.

Last night at Bandon saw a great determined display by our U-11s who eventually came out on
top by 4-2 to bandon's 2-3. This has got our SouthEast U-12 eight match campaign
off to the best possible start. Full marks to Bandon for some great hurling also.
Thanks to David Coakley for refereeing the match and for John Vaughan for helping out.
Thanks also to Maye O' Brien for the jerseys



Note to all U-11's

Due to the large numbers of players involved, we are bringing different panels of players to different matches.
Each player will get a letter this Thu/Fri (May23/24) letting him know which matches he should attend.

Fixtures for May and June 2002


We will participate in the South-East U-12 Hurling League.
These matches will take place between end-May and the end of June.

Our first match is this Sat May 25th - 7pm in Bandon.
Please attend at Church Rd. at 5.35pm - bus leaves at 5.50pm sharp.
Bring EUR2 to support cost of bus.

The 2nd match is this Monday May 27th v. Ballinhassig
details to follow.

Full set of U-11 fixtures - all AWAY unless stated :-

1. v Bandon May 25
2. v B'hassig  - to be reschedules
3. v Carrigaline June 3
4. v Douglas I June 10 (Home)
5. v V.Rovers June 15
6. v Douglas II June 17 (Home)
7. v Sliabh Rua June 22
8. v Courcey Rvs June 24